Wheat and Grain Free Experiment

Monday, May 23, 2016

I love food. I'm probably a food addict. I love sweets. I love junk. I do my best to eat healthy though because I know that the junk isn't good for me and doesn't help me move forward towards my goals.

My goal is not to be skinny. I know I'll never be "skinny". However, my goal is to be healthy. I want to be able to balance my hormones as naturally as possible and one of the best ways to do that is through managing your nutrition. My ultimate goal is to become a mother and I know that my husband and I would make great parents. To read more about that, check out our story here. Infertility is the pits. I think that for the most part, our infertility is unexplained (that's what the doctor's notes say), although PCOS does play a role.

The annoying thing about PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) is that there's no cure. You can manage the symptoms through nutrition and exercise, but it's not something that just resolves and goes away. So those carb cravings, that trouble losing weight, the obnoxious unwanted hair? Yep, I just have to manage the symptoms.

Great, right?

I recently listened to Wheat Belly on audiobook, where Dr. William Davis explains the ins and outs of how modern-day wheat is what makes us fat. All of the genetic modification in modern wheat is no longer healthy for us and the claims of "healthy whole grains" is a misnomer.

I know that "diets" like this can be trendy and gimmicky. However, after listening to the science behind his claims, it does make a lot of sense. He talks about how when we eat carbs, specifically simple carbs, our brain receives the message of wanting more, and thus craving for more carbs. On the other hand, when you eat protein and fat, the brain receives the message that it is satiated and you can go about your day.  (I'm making it super simple terms, check out the book Wheat Belly for specific details!)

Since losing weight with PCOS is super slow going (I can't tell you how annoying that is to me!!!) I figured that I could at least give this theory a chance. As a carb lover, I know that it is going to difficult (I flippin' love bread and sweets!) but I know that it will be worth it. If I see the results that I hope to, I think I could transition to this lifestyle full time.

I will be starting a wheat and grain free experiment this month. I'm going to start with the Wheat Belly 10-Day Grain Detox  and then go from there. I figure that if I can do a workout program such as The Master's Hammer and Chisel for 60 days, I can surely do a 10 day challenge and into a 30 day challenge.

I like the concept of a challenge, being able to check off the days that I stick to a program. So we shall see!

Anyone interested in trying the 10 Day Grain Detox with me?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!