5 Dallas Date Night Ideas

Monday, April 6, 2015



One of our priorities as a married couple is date night. We don't have kids yet (but we hope to one day), so we know that getting out on a date night may be a little bit easier for us. However, if something is important enough for you, you'll make it happen. It might be trading babysitting duty with a friends with kids, asking a favor from grandparents, or finding a reliable teen babysitter. Date night is so important.

Why are date nights important? We all live super busy lives. Even when we are married, it's easy to live like two ships crossing in the night. Make time for your spouse. It's a great time to reconnect, catch up about your week if you haven't had more than a high five in passing, and even a perfect time for making goals as a couple. Perhaps it's a vacation or just a weekend away. Or maybe it's going to a concert or sporting event. Or perhaps it's going to lunch together during the workweek. Whatever the case may be.

As newlyweds (are we still newlyweds 5 years in?), we're always looking for cool spots to check out. Here are some of my favorites that are perfect for a cheat meal type date. I'm a believer in the 80/20 rule and we can all use some indulgence every now and then.

1. Velvet Taco - Velvet Taco is one of my favorite gourmet taco joints. It's slightly larger than a "hole in the wall" and there's always a line, usually out the door. That's a good sign that the restaurant is delicious. There are tacos for everyone - carnivores and vegetarians alike. I recently had a Chicken Tikka Taco, a Banh Mi Taco, and a Fish & Chips taco. They were all really good. I also managed to spill my cup of water on my lap.

2. Emporium Pies - If you like pie, you should check out Emporium Pies. While this place is not necessarily diet friendly, it's great for a special occasion or if you have a cheat meal (or day) planned. It's located in the Bishop Arts District, as well as a new location on McKinney Square. I haven't tried a pie I didn't like there. However, my favorites are the Lord of the Pies (Dutch Apple) and Smooth Operator (French Silk).

3. Steel City Pops - So I heard about this place and heard about it, but I didn't quite get it until I actually went. Steel City Pops is the perfect place if you're in the mood for a popsicle. There are both fruit based and cream based pops and from what I've heard they are all good. And with summer coming up, I can see this place as a frequent stop when I'm in Dallas. If you go inside you can also watch them make the pops, from freezing them to releasing them from the pop molds. It's cool!

4. Truck Yard - Do you like Food Trucks? Would you like to go somewhere where you can have food truck food as well as a selection of beers and other drinks? The Truck Yard is for you. You can check online ahead of time to see which trucks will be there. The atmosphere is great for hanging out and kicking back after a long week. And while parking typically sucks on Greenville, they have valet and a parking lot available.

5. Klyde Warren Park - Our church just hosted Good Friday in the Park at Klyde Warren Park. It's just a fun place to go if you have no particular plans in mind, want to grab a bite to eat, and hang out. There's also a dog park and activities (like ping pong tables) as well as a children's area. My favorite part about Klyde Warren Park is the food trucks. I'm glad the food truck trend finally caught on in Dallas. My favorite trucks are Nammi, Ssahm BBQ, The Butcher's Son, and Cool Haus...but that's a whole other post.

So while this blog is dedicated to my journey to fit, I also wanted to share some favorite spots to hit up for date night...especially if you're due for a cheat meal. Delicious!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!