21 Day Fix Review

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

I can't tell you how many fitness programs I have started and never finished. While I began the program excited and interested, over time, the workouts would feel redundant (since there were only 3-4) and having to do the same workout twice in one week felt boring. So I would lose interest and stop the program altogether.


Then I tried going to the gym and doing weight training. I actually really like weight training and working on muscles instead of doing a ton of cardio (although I know a mix is ideal). And while I was going strong at about 4-5 days per week, that got old too. I would have to get ready, drive to the gym, find a parking spot, and then hopefully not have to fight over the gym equipment with the other people working out. And when they spent too long on a machine or hogged all the weights, I would want to give them the side eye. Finally, it got to where I had gone for like eight weeks in a row...and then I took a rest week.


Which became two weeks, and then three.


Then a friend invited me to her workout group where they would be doing the 21 Day Fix. I had heard about the program, but I didn't really know what it was all about. All I knew was that it was 21 days long, there were some food containers, and 30 minute workouts. I could do that.


After deliberating for a couple of days, I decided to go for it. I figured that it was only 21 days - anyone can do something for 21 days. The workouts are only 30 minutes. Anyone can find 30 minutes in their day to get it done. And finally, real guidance with the food! There's that saying, "abs are made in the kitchen" and it's true. Getting to your goal weight has so much more to do with nutrition than exercise alone. Together they make all the difference.


I started my first round of 21 Day Fix on February 9, 2015 and finished on March 1, 2015. And yes, I finished! It was the first fitness program that I've ever completed from start to finish.

The Workouts

The 30 minute workouts are short, but that doesn't mean that they are easy. They are not super complex - you don't have to be a star athlete - but they will push you beyond your limits if you've never worked out hard before. The good thing is that there is a modifier for each workout that you can follow if you need it. I know I did for some of the exercises.


Mondays - Total Body Cardio - cardio with light weights

Tuesdays - Upper Fix - upper body exercises with weights

Wednesdays - Lower Fix - squats and lunges with weights

Thursdays - Pilates Fix - abs, legs, back work

Friday - Cardio Fix - cardio to get your heart pumping

Saturday - Dirty 30 - my favorite of the week - mostly weighted exercises

Sunday - Yoga Fix - active rest day to stretch your muscles from all the work you did

The Nutrition

This was probably the most helpful part for me. So the program comes with color-coded containers in various sizes. Based on your caloric needs, you get a certain number of containers per color. This cuts out the need for counting calories or measuring or weighing your food. I think it's a great system, especially if you're just getting started on your fitness journey.

Green - Vegetables

Purple - Fruits

Red - Protein

Yellow - Carbs

Blue - Healthy Fats

Orange - Seeds, nuts, salad dressing

So for example, for lunch, you might have a salad - 2 green containers (1 container spinach, 1 container tomatoes & cucumbers) + 1 red container (1 container chopped chicken) + 1 orange container (balsamic vinaigrette).

I'll admit when I first got the containers I thought that they were really small. But when you figure out that you get to eat multiple containers a day (for greens, purples, reds, and yellows) it actually adds up to a lot of food. The nice things is that the book included with the program gives you guidelines for what you can eat and what works for each container. Also, there is a guide in case you're eating out and can't portion your food. And if you have a sweet tooth, there are allowances for treats!

I know that having that type of flexibility in an eating plan was super helpful for me. I think that if I had to be perfect at eating 24/7, 100% of the time, I would have given up. But with the allowances and a little bit of flexibility (don't go crazy and erase your efforts), it makes a huge difference.

The Results

In my first round of 21 Day Fix, I lost 6lbs!

For someone who has trouble losing weight due to PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), this was amazing to me! Even with my hard work at the gym in the previous months, I had only moved the scale about 2-3lbs in either direction, which was discouraging. I was trying to eat following a plan that my sister-in-law had given me. She said, "You should see the pounds fall off if you follow this plan." When they didn't, I was frustrated.

Following and finishing the 21 Day Fix was the first time I saw real results in a short amount of time, while only working out 30 minutes a day and still eating well. While I know that results shouldn't be measured only by the scale and I know that muscle weighs more than fat, seeing the number go down on the scale is a huge victory! I weigh 10lbs less than on my wedding day, which is amazing to me!

If you're just getting started on your fitness journey or don't know where to start and are looking for something to get you started, I highly recommend the 21 Day Fix. It is simple to follow and with it being only 21 days, it is simple to stick to. Anyone can do something for 21 days.

It takes 21 days for form a habit, right?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!