4th of July Survival Tips

Wednesday, July 1, 2015



I mean, I totally get it why Americans are fat. At every chance and opportunity, we turn to food. We like to celebrate. Usually it's food that's not great for us. Stuff that should be reserved for cheat meals...every once in a while. 

I love me some hamburgers, hot dogs, and all the fixin's. Pies, ice cream, and margaritas...am I right?

So as we approach this holiday weekend what can you do to stay on track?

1. Have a plan in place. 

So think about what your week is going to look like. Are you going to be traveling, camping, visiting family and friends? Where will you be? What will you be doing?

Next, make a plan for your fitness. Schedule it on your calendar like you would a really important cannot miss meeting. Make it non-negotiable.

Do you know what you'll be busy with activities all weekend? You can still sneak in a quick 30 minute walk, add in some cardio like jumping jacks, strength training like squats and pushups and you'll be good to go.

2. Eating Clean is an every day plan

As a former "Fat Kid" at heart, I still look forward to cheat days and cheat meals. I love me some French fries and Chocolate cake. However, I also know that eating too much of those things won't get me closer to my goal...it'll do that opposite.

So while it's okay to have a cheat meal once a week, think about what your goal is.

I like to think about eating clean seven days a week, but perhaps two-three of those meals will have some indulgences included. Maybe it's dessert. Maybe it's a nice dinner. Maybe it's a drink. 

My biggest struggle is eating clean. I treat every day like a new day to start again. If I know that I will be eating out, I try my best to check out the menu and pre-plan what I'll be eating. If I know that I'll be happily indulging, I make sure to eat clean the rest of the day. 

3. Don't leave it to chance. 

Let's be honest, it's really hard to stay on track when there's so much delicious food staring at you, tempting you. If your plan is to stay on track over the holiday weekend, don't assume that there will be any veggies included in the spread. (If this was my mom's party, there definitely wouldn't be! Haha!) So if you're trying to stay on track and going to parties, plan ahead. Eat before you go, or bring a snack with you that you can munch on. You're still being social, but also smart about your clean eating. Another great tip is to bring your Shakeology with you so that you can have a snack on the go.

4. Water, water and more water! 

It's summertime and it sure is hot here in Texas. It's super important to stay hydrated properly! Especially if you're at a cookout or BBQ outdoors, you'll want to make sure you're sipping water in between your drinks. And if you are partaking in a fruity adult beverage, enjoy it. However, do keep track of what you're consuming. Those can add up quickly and count as carbs/sugar!

5. Practice the 80-20 rule. 

Don't be so hard on yourself. Give yourself permission to not be perfect! Look at your week and decide where you want to splurge at. I totally believe in living by the 80-20 rule. 80% of the time stick to your eating plan, 20% of the time, you can have a little fun. Just make a plan for it as best you can!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!